The Central Archives (of the General Secretariat of the Council of the European Union)
When it was set up in Luxembourg in 1952, the secretariat of the ECSC Special Council of Ministers was equipped with an archives and mail section. This department was also made responsible for establishing archives for the EEC and EAEC in Brussels, the Council's other place of work since 1958.
When the Merger Treaty establishing a Single Council for the three Communities (ECSC, EEC and EAEC) came into force in 1967, the archives of the Council of the ECSC were transferred to Brussels to be combined with the archives of the EEC and EAEC Councils. Their administration was taken over by the General Secretariat of the (Single) Council.
The Council of the European Union has been operating since 1997 with a Central Archives department made up of three sections: current, intermediate and historical archives.
The current archives section, the structure of which reflects the organisation chart of the General Secretariat, centralises, sorts, classifies by Directorate-General, and files documents received or produced by the department.
The intermediate archives section administers files which have been closed but have not yet acquired the status of historical archives.
The historical archives section reclassifies archives and establishes inventories. It also makes the archives available to the public and assists researchers. It thus plays a role in promoting the Council's historical archives.
Open Days - 2009
2010 Activity Report
2009 Activity Report
2008 Activity Report
2007 Activity Report
Central Archives presentation brochure
Brochure FR EN DE NL