UN General Assembly, New York, 18-22/09/2016
Donald Tusk, President of the European Council, spoke on behalf of the EU at the 71st UN General Assembly (UNGA) on 21 September. His speech to the assembly focused on:
- the European response to the refugee crisis and the need for global solidarity
- building a global strategy and network against terrorism
- the EU's active engagement to bring peace in areas where war is raging or is imminent, including Ukraine, Syria, Libya and Afghanistan
- the EU's full commitment to the fight against climate change
On 19 September Tusk participated in the UN high level meeting on addressing large movements of refugees and migrants. "Global migration will accompany us in the future," he said, "and it is in our power to decide whether our future in this context will be orderly, stable and safe; or disorderly, unstable and unsafe."
On 20 September, President Tusk attended the leaders' summit on the global refugee crisis, hosted by US President Barack Obama. This event aimed to reach new global commitments to increase humanitarian funding, admit more refugees through legal pathways and increase refugees' self-reliance and inclusion.
In the margins of the UNGA, he also met with a number of other leaders bilaterally.
EU priorities at the UN General Assembly
In July, the Council adopted EU priorities at the UN and the 71st UNGA focusing on:
- sustaining peace, fighting terrorism and working on disarmament and non-proliferation
- addressing issues such as migratory and refugee flows, the humanitarian aid system or the protection of human rights
- implementing the agreements reached during the last year, including on development and climate change
Programme of President Tusk
Meeting with UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon
EU Commission Vice-President Frans Timmermans also joined the meeting.
Opening ceremony of the High-Level Plenary Meeting on addressing large movements of refugees and migrants
Meeting with President of Egypt Abdel Fattah el-Sisi
High Representive Federica Mogherini also joined the meeting.