30/09/2013 - General Affairs Council (GAC)
Council discusses cohesion policy package 2014-2020
On 30 September 2013, the General Affairs Council held an exchange of views on the cohesion policy package for 2014-2020.
During their discussions, ministers addressed issues at the heart of talks with the European Parliament and the Commission.
In particular, they discussed:
- macro-economic conditionality, which aims to optimise the impact of the funds and streamline governance at national level
- the performance reserve, designed to ensure that measures are results-orientated
- pre-financing, allowing beneficiaries to start the programmes
- the co-financing rates in different types of region
- eligibility criteria for the Youth Employment Initiative
In the next trilogue meetings with the European Parliament and the Commission, the Council presidency will continue to explore possible solutions while respecting the overall mandate. It is intended for the new rules to be implemented as of January 2014.
Linas Linkevičius, Lithuanian Minister of Foreign Affairs
"On cohesion policy, today's meeting was an excellent opportunity to review progress that has already been achieved".
Other topics on the agenda
Preparation of the European Council meeting on 24/25 October: ministers examined a draft annotated agenda that will serve as a basis for draft conclusions.